Is Pesto the new ketchup?Comments Off on Is Pesto the new ketchup?
We don’t know. But we know we love it, and it’s certainly healthier than most sauces out there, especially those loaded with sugar or HFCS! We’ve been making basil and cilantro pesto, freezing it in silicone ice cube trays, and having it on-hand for months. Add a frozen cube to a warm meal for a quick flavor (and green veggie) punch! Try it with eggs! OK, let’s get down to business…
Makes 1 cup
- 2 cups tightly packed basil or cilantro
- 1 cup tightly packed spinach
- ½ cup toasted almond slivers or walnuts (or pine nuts if you insist)
- 1 medium garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup EVOO
- Freshly ground black pepper
Add first 5 ingredients to blender or food processor; pulse until combined. Add olive, S & P, and blend to desired consistency. Add to tray, freeze for at least one hour, then pop cubes out into a zip-top baggie. Enjoy!